Saturday, 11 May 2013

My studio work

I've been at Shigaraki for over a month now, time is flying by! Its well due for some of my own work to be photographed and shared, enjoy.

My kitsune (fox) inspired by Inari's fox gardians at the Fushimi Inari Taisha shrine I visited in Kyoto, with traditional stlye key to be placed in its mouth after firings.

I've given throwing another go! I do enjoy it and it feels very good for 'zen' practice but I usually get too distracted by sculpting. Japan has such appreciation for pottery and with the huge Anagama kiln having another firing soon I thought it the perfect opportunity to explore, but more on that later.

The Japanese crows I first noticed at Ueno park were huge in comparison to the ones I'm use to in the U.K. Its behaviour intrigued me as it seemed to be trying to stare me down, and when I saw their repeated appearance in artwork including in Aida Makoto exhibition in Mori Art Museum, I did some research. The population in Japan has exploded  they are well know for being very clever and the respect and fear they have earned I wanted to portray. Because of the weight on the thin legs I made the wings separately, see picture below.

2 comments:

  1. These are fab! I love the work Saya, well done. Nice to see what you're doing out there :)

    ReplyDelete